LAX Ammunition is bound by California state laws regulating the purchase of ammunition. Below are the basics for our customers regarding a purchase. We also urge you to visit California Carry and/or the CA Department of Justice Firearms Bureau for most up to date information.
Highlights (provided by California Carry)
- Everyone buying ammo needs to obtain a background check.
- The $1 standard check applies to those with a LTC or who have bought or registered a gun in California.
- The $19 basic check applies to anyone who does not qualify for the standard check or their information is mismatched.
- You must show a valid California driver license or ID card; if it is not REAL ID compliant, you will need to show additional documents.
- Non-residents may not purchase ammo.
- Non-residents may bring ammo with them for personal use without a background check.
- California residents may not buy ammo out of state and bring it back with them.
- You can buy as much ammo as you want in whatever caliber; you do not need to own a registered gun for the caliber you buy.
- No purchase permits or safety certificates are required, just the background check.
- Ammo ordered online must be shipped to a licensed dealer (no direct shipper to the buyer anymore).
We also urge you to take action regarding state regulations. Please visit California Rifle & Pistol Association and/or the Firearms Policy Coalition for more information.